Friday, August 12, 2011

Civillization

Temple of Hadrian, conqueror of the Brits.
I thought I'd begin this blog with the idea that we've just left one of the youngest civilizations, sub-Saharan Africa, and traveled to the world's oldest, Turkey. Before getting too far, I thought I'd better check something; civilization has the following definition (Oxford English Dictionary):
the stage of human social development and organization that is considered most advanced.
Entering the Blue Mosque.
Wow, I suppose this post is in trouble already, especially if I have to tackle  'considered most advanced'. Considered by whom? I think Montana may have just lost its status as civilization. In any case, I'm going to use it as a starting point; this big transition,  from Africa to Turkey. I'm saying it is big because in one case history is solid, hewn from marble. In the other history is ephemeral, and has been lost to the environment. I think that's fair to say.

Hagia Sophia
Given the large transition, have I gained any special insights? Well, Turkey is fantastic. It boggles the mind that some of these marvels of engineering and architecture are more than 2000 years old. And they are everywhere, setting the stage for modern living. When I think about this in relation to Africa (or the US), I have to ask why it is that nothing significant in terms of civilization emerged there. I should be careful though. There is the great Zimbabwe, and Ashante civilization has a long and complex history. Nevertheless, the general lack of documented civilization in Africa is probably worth considering as we try to understand our differences.

Zapiro lampoons Zuma's AIDS prevention method; showering.
I don't forget that people were living like animals in Northern Europe through most of the early Roman Empire. I suppose my ancestors would have been in their company; drinking from skulls, rubbing animal fat on their bodies, burning witches, whacking each other over the head...

So, who knows, maybe Zuma and company are building a new civilization in a circuitous way. These things don't happen overnight. Speaking of Zuma, I sure miss the news from South Africa. So much more entertaining that our loss of 'AAA credit rating'. Or the Iowa straw poll. Why can't we Americans have a president with a shower coming out of his head?

Once the third largest library in the world.

I should comment on visiting a stable, secular, progressive, economically viable Islamic democracy. There aren't really any others like it, but there has been all sorts of change in the Islamic world this year. I suppose my hope is that Turkey can demonstrate the way forward in these parts of the world. But I'm pretty ignorant about these things. There must be a million reasons that a government like Turkey's would never work in say, Egypt. Tribes, money, resources, education, etc. etc. But too bad, Turkey really seems to work well.
Hurray for Turkey!

2 comments:

  1. Love the pics. Turkey looks amazing. Unfortunately, we did not get to see any of these awesome sights from the airport. Miss you guys down here in newly-civilized Cape Town :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turkey was on our list of places to visit when we were in Austria, but we just plain ran out of time. It's STILL on the list! Great cartoon. I miss the EU news, too.

    ReplyDelete